Kenya News- The Ugandan military officers opened fire on a vehicle in Kenya in pursuit of fish

Share this:

According to report, the Ugandan military officers opened fire on the vehicle that was parked at the Busia Police Station, in pursuit of fish.

County Commissioner of Busia, Jacob Narengo, is currently held up in a meeting with Resident District Commissioner of Busia, Uganda Hussein Matanda.

The meeting is being held following the arrest of two Ugandan military officers who trespassed into Kenya and started firing at the vehicle that was carrying fish from Uganda on Sunday morning.

Others attending the meeting are County CID Commander Esther Seroney and Police Commander Wambua Katithi.

The two officers who are being held at Busia Police Station have recorded statement, so is the driver who escaped narrowly.

The incident happens one week after two Kenyan MPs, Raphael Wanjala of Budalang'i and Gideon Ochanda, met their Uganda counterparts in Sigulu Island last Sunday to discuss how harassment of fishermen can end. Uganda's National Assembly Rebecca Kadaga, also attended the meeting.

Ms Kadaga promised to table a motion last Tuesday for Ugandans MPs to formulate laws that will protect fishermen from Kenya and Uganda against frequent harassment from Uganda's Maritime Officers. The motion was postponed and is scheduled to be deliberated next Tuesday.

It is illegal for a police officer or a politician from either county to cross to Uganda or Kenya armed with firearms.

In June, tension gripped the border after Kenyan and Ugandan authorities clashed in separate crackdowns on fishermen and traders along Lake Victoria.

The standoff started when three Administration Policemen were arrested by Ugandan authorities, detained for a day then later released.

Fishermen in Siaya, Homa-Bay and Migori counties were targeted by Ugandan authorities in the weekend crackdown.
The Ugandan security personnel arrested 20 Kenyan fishermen and detained two boats. But Kenyan authorities also conducted a swoop on illegal migrants from Uganda.

According to a police report, the two boats were confiscated at around 4pm before they were rescued by Kenyan APs.
"We were informed that Ugandans also confiscated 400Kg of fish," said Mr Francis Gomre, the officer in charge of Rural Border Patrol Unit.
Kindly Bookmark and Share it:
Share on Google Plus

About Owan Ndoma

I am a passionate writer that is driven by the hunger for new information.
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment


Post a Comment

Do you have a news story, personal experience or an idea you will want to share with the world on GiveMeReport? Email your article to:
WARNING: If you want to contact us, please don't use the above email because your message will come as plain text, with no trace about the sender. This means we cannot reply you. Do you want to talk to us, you use the "Contact us" link at the top or footer of this post page you are reading.

Blogger Widgets